Yeti 3.0.2 is installed on Maya 2018 MacOS X, but Arnold doesn't render

macOS specific questions.
alexanderkislov

Yeti 3.0.2 is installed on Maya 2018 MacOS X, but Arnold doesn't render

Post by alexanderkislov »

Hi friends.
Having bought a Node Locked License, I seemed not found a way to properly install the plug-in even carefully coming through all possible guidances.

I use Yeti 3.0.2 on Maya 2018 with Arnold 5.1.0.1

Here are the steps I've done.

1. Copied .lic file into /Library/Application Support/PeregrineLabs/rlm

2. When setting Maya Plugin Configuration (http://documentation.peregrinelabs.com/ ... /maya.html) I added a path of Yeti home directory into pgYetiMaya.mod file:
+ pgYetiMaya 3.0.2 /Users/miMac/Documents/Yeti-v3.0.2_Maya2018-darwin64

3. Created environment.plist as mentioned in http://documentation.peregrinelabs.com/ ... vvars.html , added a line setting the variable:

-----------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">
 <dict>
  <key>Label</key>
  <string>my.startup</string>
  <key>ProgramArguments</key>
  <array>
   <string>sh</string>
   <string>-c</string>
   <string>launchctl setenv PG_IMAGE_PATH /volumes/myProject/textures
     launchctl setenv YETI_INTERACTIVE_LICENSE 1
     launchctl setenv MAYA_MODULE_PATH /Users/miMac/Documents/Yeti-v3.0.2_Maya2018-darwin64</string>
  </array>
  <key>RunAtLoad</key>
  <true/>
  </dict>
</plist>
----------------

... and put this environment.plist under ~/Library/LaunchAgents/.

Then I logged out and in.

4. Now setting Render Extension Configuration http://documentation.peregrinelabs.com/ ... ering.html (in my case Arnold).

The first thing I did (as far as could understand) was creating new lines in the environment.plist

launchctl setenv MTOA_EXTENSION_PATH /Users/miMac/Documents/Yeti-v3.0.2_Maya2018-darwin64/plug-ins
launchctl setenv ARNOLD_PLUGIN_PATH /Users/miMac/Documents/Yeti-v3.0.2_Maya2018-darwin64/bin

5. Started Maya. In the Plug-ins manager loaded pgYetiMaya.bundle

6. Created simple scene. Hair guides was generated, displayed, lights were created. But when rendered — there was no any hair.
It is certainly I could create and see Yeti hair in viewport, but Arnold couldn't render it.

I understood that something is wrong with Render Extension Configuration. I've been reading yetiCentral documentation about setting MTOA_EXTENSION_PATH over and over again. And finally I found myself confused what to do exactly. It was simply not clear where MTOA_EXTENSION_PATH and ARNOLD_PLUGIN_PATH are to be set in.
Been trying several places but none of them was correct.

The places were as follows:
- in the environment.plist
launchctl setenv MTOA_EXTENSION_PATH /Users/miMac/Documents/Yeti-v3.0.2_Maya2018-darwin64/plug-ins
launchctl setenv ARNOLD_PLUGIN_PATH /Users/miMac/Documents/Yeti-v3.0.2_Maya2018-darwin64/bin

or

- in the /Users/miMac/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/2018/maya.env
MTOA_EXTENSION_PATH = /Users/miMac/Documents/Yeti-v3.0.2_Maya2018-darwin64/plug-ins
ARNOLD_PLUGIN_PATH = /Users/miMac/Documents/Yeti-v3.0.2_Maya2018-darwin64/bin

or

- in pgYetiMaya.mod:
PATH +:= bin
MTOA_EXTENSIONS_PATH +:= plug-ins

and some other tryouts.
Nothing helps.
# Error: [mtoa.translator] pgYetiArnoldMaya: Arnold node type pgYetiArnold does not exist. #

So, may I ask to provide a roadmap of setting proper variables for Arnold Render engine to work with pgYetiMaya. What have I missed?

The most tricky part for to overcome is
"To render Yeti graphs using the supplied Arnold plugins you first need to make sure that Arnold will be able to find the appropriate binaries, to support rendering in both Maya and standalone you will need to set MTOA_EXTENSIONS_PATH to point to the plug-ins directory so MtoA can find it upon initialization. You will then have to tell Arnold itself how to find the Yeti plugin by ensuring the Yeti bin path is set in the ARNOLD_PLUGIN_PATH environment variable."

Thanks in advance.

colin
Site Admin

Re: Yeti 3.0.2 is installed on Maya 2018 MacOS X, but Arnold doesn't render

Post by colin »

As per the support email, you need to make sure you use MTOA_EXTENSIONS_PATH (with and S) where some of the paths given are just using MTOA_EXTENSION_PATH.

alexanderkislov

Hi, Colin.
I've checked everything, come through all the steps again.

Now here is what I have set:
-in pgYetiMaya.mod

- in the environment.plist:
launchctl setenv MAYA_MODULE_PATH /Users/miMac/Documents/Yeti-v3.0.2_Maya2018-darwin64
launchctl setenv ARNOLD_PLUGIN_PATH /Users/miMac/Documents/Yeti-v3.0.2_Maya2018-darwin64/bin</string>

- in mtoa.mod (which is in /Applications/solidangle/mtoa/2018/mtoa.mod)
+ mtoa any /Applications/solidangle/mtoa/2018
PATH +:= bin
MAYA_CUSTOM_TEMPLATE_PATH +:= scripts/mtoa/ui/templates
MAYA_SCRIPT_PATH +:= scripts/mtoa/mel
MAYA_RENDER_DESC_PATH += /Applications/solidangle/mtoa/2018
MTOA_EXTENSIONS_PATH +:= plug-ins

When Maya started, the plug-ins manager shows that the pgYetiMaya.bundle is auto loaded.
Then I create a simple scene with a ball Yeti haired. Viewport shows Yeti guides, but render gives only surface.

What is interesting, Maya stoped reporting "# Error: [mtoa.translator] pgYetiArnoldMaya: Arnold node type pgYetiArnold does not exist. #" as it was before. But instead In the log file I only can see the lines:

# Warning: unable to load dynamic library /Users/miMac/Documents/Yeti-v3.0.2_Maya2018-darwin64/bin/libvray_pgYetiVRay.so: #
# Warning: unable to load dynamic library /Users/miMac/Documents/Yeti-v3.0.2_Maya2018-darwin64/bin/pgYetiPrmanRender.so: #
# Warning: unable to load dynamic library /Users/miMac/Documents/Yeti-v3.0.2_Maya2018-darwin64/bin/pgYetiDLRender.dylib: #

Arnold version is 5.1.1.1, Maya 2018.4, Yeti 3.0.2

Can you give any advice, please?
Attachments
status.png
status.png (723.01 KiB) Viewed 667 times

colin
Site Admin

Post by colin »

You also need to set the MTOA_EXTENSIONS_PATH to the Yeti plug-ins directory - it looks like you're setting it in the mtoa.mod which is not the Yeti settings.

so you'd need

launchctl setenv MTOA_EXTENSIONS_PATH /Users/miMac/Documents/Yeti-v3.0.2_Maya2018-darwin64/plug-ins</string>

Can you try open Maya and do getenv("MTOA_EXTENSIONS_PATH") and see what it returns? If our plug-ins directory isn't included then it's not being set or overwritten somewhere.

alexanderkislov

Hi, colin.
Finally, it works. I did what you advised, and it helped.
Thanks a lot %-)