Groom node deformation layer length

Is there something missing from Yeti that you would love to see? We'd love to hear about it in this forum.
igord

Groom node deformation layer length

Post by igord »

Hi, so with Yeti4 there are a lot of advancements making it possible to have stretchy hair for cartoon characters. One thing still missing is for Groom Guides to conform to length changes in the deformation layer. That limitation still makes is impossible for our studio to move to Groom node pipeline and we still need to rely on the Maya Curve Guides setups. The interpolation of the Yeti graph Guide node vs. Comb node is still subpar in some occasions and the baggage of the Maya curves and related attributes is causing a lot of grief as the asset moves through the pipeline.

Could we have this sorted with Yeti 4.0.X release or is it something much further down the line?

Thanks!

MarioReitbauer

Re: Groom node deformation layer length

Post by MarioReitbauer »

The interpolation of the Yeti graph Guide node vs. Comb node is still subpar in some occasions and the baggage of the Maya curves and related attributes is causing a lot of grief as the asset moves through the pipeline.

Most of the time I personally don't use the guide node to actually shape fibres.
Instead I just use a guide node on the converted groom and then drive comb and clump nodes with that.
You will have the flexibility you got while only using grooms with the advantage of having guide curves for simulation and rigging.
Freelance Groom & Character Effects TD
http://www.marioreitbauer.com
contact@marioreitbauer.com

igord

Post by igord »

Thanks Mario, so guiding the groom passes into comb node? That is interesting if so, I need to try it out.

paulsheehy

Post by paulsheehy »

MarioReitbauer wrote:
July 27th, 2021, 5:04 am
The interpolation of the Yeti graph Guide node vs. Comb node is still subpar in some occasions and the baggage of the Maya curves and related attributes is causing a lot of grief as the asset moves through the pipeline.

Most of the time I personally don't use the guide node to actually shape fibres.
Instead I just use a guide node on the converted groom and then drive comb and clump nodes with that.
You will have the flexibility you got while only using grooms with the advantage of having guide curves for simulation and rigging.
Hi Mario!

Just a question about the setup you mention.

Would you still connect the import guides set node into the grow nodes to drive the length? Or would you connect the output of the converted groom (Fibres to Strands) into the grow nodes?

The images attached should explain what I mean.
Yeti_Graph_01.jpg
Yeti_Graph_01.jpg (433.07 KiB) Viewed 140 times
Yeti_Graph_02.jpg
Yeti_Graph_02.jpg (414.28 KiB) Viewed 140 times
Thanks,
Paul

MarioReitbauer

Post by MarioReitbauer »

Hey Paul

Not sure which version we are talking about.
Yeti 4 handles changes of length differently.
Version 3 up to 4 needs to use a transform node where you sample the length from the guides to the converted groom, scale that converted groom with a transform node and that sampled guideLength and then use that in the grow / comb node.

Sadly for whatever reason things got changed multiple times, so you need to play around a bit what works best for you.

But yes, I would connect the ouput of the convert to both the grow and the comb
Freelance Groom & Character Effects TD
http://www.marioreitbauer.com
contact@marioreitbauer.com

paulsheehy

Post by paulsheehy »

Thanks for the reply Mario,

Currently we are using v3.5.2 but one of our projects is using v3.7.1. We had to be mindful of changing versions during production, but we plan on switching to v4.0.x when the time allows.

I am not too certain what you mean with the transform node?

I will connect the output of the convert to the grow and comb, thanks for that.