Changing mesh - How to get groom guides to follow?

Discuss grooming techniques and working with Yeti graphs.
matthias47

Changing mesh - How to get groom guides to follow?

Post by matthias47 »

Hello !

Im currently doing a groom on a character and the shape of the geo has to be modified to match certain proportions.
Im needing to scale down / change the overall shape and size of the head geo on my mesh ever so slightly. When i do so - either on the mesh being groomed or another mesh to blendshape in - the Groom Guides dont seem to follow the new surface.
Ive tried reloading the geo / adding new geo into the yeti node and swapping it out in the graph editor - and the actual hairs seems to stick to the surface but the groom guides stay where they were.

After searching on here a bit im seeing people mention texture referencing and object- but im unfamiliar with this step or if it is necessary to a proper groom workflow in changing my model.

So far I just have some geo ive made a yeti node and groom node on that ive been grooming this last week - Hoping for some insight on how to achieve this model change properly.
im trying to bypass converting the guides to curves and repositioning them to my new mesh into a new groom.

Im also trying to figure out how to run the pgYetiSwapGeometry( string $originalGeometry, string $newGeometry ) command in MEL - ive tried replacing the originalGeomtry etc tags with the shape names - seemingly getting a syntax error - any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you greatly for your time!

matthias47

Re: Changing mesh - How to get groom guides to follow?

Post by matthias47 »

I have found the issue - but have NO IDEA how to resolve it-

Yeti wont allow me to make a Texture Reference Object - IM getting this error -

// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2020/scripts/startup/makeReferenceObject.mel line 46: Connection not made: '__PrenotatoPerDuplicare_pSphereShape1.worldMesh[-1]' -> 'pgYetiMaya1Shape.inputGeometry[-1]'. Source node will not allow the connection.

texture ref works on every mesh in the world unless its connected to a yeti node.

any help is greatly appreciated

mark@jamvfx.co.uk

Re: Changing mesh - How to get groom guides to follow?

Post by mark@jamvfx.co.uk »

hey did you manage to figure this out? I also have a scaling character and the groom shrinks as the character is scaled up .